Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Heather's Virtual Vacation Questionnaire

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?
I would visit Alaska in the summer to experience the midnight sun, see glaciers and maybe whales! It would never be too hot and I would still be in the US even though I would be closer to Canada and Russia. I would like to see the wildlife, the permafrost and have lots of time to knit.

2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why?
I would visit Australia because it is exotic enough to be different and yet I could still manage the language! No language barrier and a country full of sheep and wool! There are also beaches and cities and lots of rural areas. I've never been there but would love to experience it.

3. Have you ever driven across several states/providence/countries?
Yes, I used to live in Kansas (Ft. Riley) and drove to North Carolina through Kansas-Missourri-Illinios-Indiana-Tennessee-West Virginia-Virginia-North Carolina. I loved road trips before I had small children and it became too much of a production-now vacation seems to be too precious to spend driving and I am more likely to fly instead or do shorter trips-I go every year from West Virginia through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois to Iowa (where I grew up).

4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?
I've been to Hawaii and down the California Baha into Mexico. I've also been to The Dominican Republic, lived for a time in Horsefly, British Columbia and layed on the beach on Grand Cayman. They all seem very exotic to a midwestern landlocked girl.

5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why?
My favorite travel vacation is my next one! So far the favorite travel vacation has been a summer trip from WV to Nova Scotia. We flew to Boston and then drove to Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor, Maine, hiked some in the park and spent a day in that funky little offbeat town. Then we took "the Cat" a highspeed catamaran/ferry from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia and drove around the coastal areas including Lund and Lunenburg. I saw dory boats and huge sailing ships, fisheries and breathtaking coastal areas. Had great food and fell in love with that part of Canada (I saw a t-shirt today that read "Canada-living the American dream" and giggled, how true!) It was all laid back and easy going but still moved at a good pace with lots of new things to see.

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)?
Yes, I have, but mostly I not only play tourist, I am also tour guide to a visiting friend or family member. This helps me look at my city and state through a newcomers eyes. WV is absolutely beautiful. Lots of green. Beautiful rivers for hiking or rafting. I live in the state capitol so I find out about the tours and the local restaurant/bar scene. I take them to nearby Milton, WV to tour Blenko Glass, a working glass plant. There are incredible state forests for biking and just driving through. I try to find good restaurants that showcase original dishes in an easy setting. We have a wave pool 45 miles away that pleases the whole clan and the nation's 2nd highest suspension bridge over the New River Gorge that takes your breath away-whether it is autumn color time or not.

7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comber or an amusement seeker?
I am frequently all three depending on the location. When in Washington D.C. I am a museum visitor. When on an island of any kind, the beach comber comes out and I can't be lured away by the promise of an air conditioned musuem. The amusement seeker only comes out when I travel specifically for that purpose-say to a thrill ride park (King's Island) or an art convention. I want to go to knitting camp someday.

8. What's your favorite type of yarn?
Natural fiber yarn, especially wool, anything with wool in it, and preferably sock yarn. I'm a little obsessed with knitting socks lately. Okay, a lot obsessed with sock knitting.

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn?
I am not a fan of novelty yarn. Anything with eyelash or lurex/metallic is not going to get knit. I also very rarely knit with 100% manmade fibers. I guess that makes me a yarn snob, but I consider knitting my entertainment and so treat myself to the yarn that feels good while I knit with it.

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?
I don't know how to crochet so am exclusively a knitter. My most favorite items lately have been socks and fingerless gloves. And scarves. Seems like scarves are my go-to default for gift giving and mindless knitting.

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?
A couple of different projects, nothing too large. I always pack a mindless knitting pattern (vanilla sock pattern) and then a scarf and perhaps a more challenging sock pattern. I always print out/ copy an extra pattern or two (or full book) and look for yarn while travelling that I cannot get locally. I have a penchant to slip into a local thrift store or consignment store to see whether there are any fabulous sweaters to unravel (great for mindless unravelling while being a car passenger).

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?
I am a seamstress and a quilter. I also make handbound books, am a rubber stamper and make lots of cards.

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise).
I am not allergic to anything.

14. What is your favorite color?
My most favorite color is green followed closely by rose/purple Least Favorite? I don't like light blue, or at least I don't buy much of it in clothing, yarn or furnishings.

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)?
Sweet. Dark chocolate or chocolate covered anything.

16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know?
I love everything about knitting and yarn and learning new techniques.